As its newest branch, the Schmela Haus, located at Mutter-Ey-Straße 3, augments the ensemble of buildings belonging to the Landessammlung (Regional Art Collection). When it was inaugurated in 1971, this protected landmark building, the work of Dutch architect Aldo van Eck (1918–1999), was the first in Germany built especially as an art gallery. The structure, with its interlocking architectural volumes and striking pumice concrete, was acquired by the Federal State of North Rhine–Westphalia after it was vacated by the Galerie Schmela.
The Schmela Haus serves as an experimental testing stage. Taking place here in addition to exhibitions are discussions, debates, and lectures, as well as actions and performances.
Artistic Direction: Prof. Dr. Susanne Gaensheimer
Art in Düsseldorf: A special perspective
The Schmela Haus has a celebrated neighbor which is set directly opposite: the Kom(m)ödchen belongs to the ensemble complex of the Kunsthalle Düsseldorf. In 1947, immediately after World War II, it was established by Lore and Kay Lorenz. With its style and its Düsseldorf location, the couple wrote German cabaret history. Right up until the present, the Ko(m)mödchen stands for critique, humor, satire, and good entertainment.
Additional information on the Kom(m)ödchen